top of page

Christ Church Beechworth has the only ring of tower bells in a Victorian rural community and is one of just six rings in regional Victoria.

IMG_6931_edited_edited_edited.png

Bells


Christ Church Beechworth has a glorious ring of six bells in its 17-metre granite tower. Installed in 1994, it was the first ring of bells hanging in a Victorian country town.

 

The bells ring every Sunday, and for weddings, funerals and significant events. The parish also has a set of handbells occasionally used in services and concerts.

 

Change ringing practice occurs on Monday from 6pm. New members of the parish bellringers are always welcome.

 

Peal

St Mary, note B

Weight: 1 hundredweight (cwt) 2 quarters (qr) 21 pounds (lb) (85.7 kilograms)

Cast: Whitechapel Foundry, May 1993

Gift of the Albury and Wangaratta Bellringers in appreciation of Bishop Robert Beal’s ministry 1985-1994

 

Henry, note A

Weight: 1cwt 3qr 12lb (94.3kg)

Cast: Whitechapel Foundry, May 1993

Gift of Rob and Ruth Smith in memory of Henry Russell

 

Little Ben, note G

Weight: 1cwt 3qr 24lb (99.8kg)

Cast: John Taylor Foundry, 1958

Gift of Derrick Darby

 

Nancy Collins, note F#

Weight: 2cwt 0qr 11lb (107kg)

Cast: Whitechapel Foundry, April 1993

Gift of the Collins Family in memory of Nancy Collins

 

Bobby, note E

Weight: 2cwt 3qr 27lb (152kg)

Cast: Whitechapel foundry, April 1993

Gift through the Christ Church Beechworth Robert Hull Bell Appeal

St Aiden (tenor), note D

Weight: 4cwt 0qr 25lb (215kg)

Cast: John Taylor foundry, 1958

Gift of Ron Shepherd

 

Tower captain

Lloyd Beattie

Email

bottom of page